You must have heard of sore throat maybe once or twice or more and you may have experienced it a couple of times. But some of us do not know that we may not need to see the doctor all the time because of sore throat, you know why? Because there are quick homemade or natural remedies for sore throat.
Before we talk about these remedies, let’s talk about a sore throat.
WHAT IS SORE THROAT?
Sore throat is a condition characterized by painful and irritating sensation in the throat. This sensation is caused by inflammation due to micro-organism (infection) or cold. This sensation might worsen when swallowing or talking.
COMMON CAUSES OF SORE THROAT
- Injury to the throat – this may be as a result of blows, cuts to the neck or ingestion of hot food through the mouth. Also swallowing hard objects can cause sore throat.
- Allergens – When allergens like pollen grains, grass, powder, or dust can cause the immune system to react and then chemicals would be released which would cause some symptoms like sneezing, nasal congestion or blockage, and sore throat.
- Inhalation of smoke, chemicals, or other gaseous irritants – Air pollution, chemicals (cleaning agents, insecticides, pesticides, and others), cigarettes, tobacco smoke, and smoke from burning substances of bushes can cause irritation of the throat. When these substances are inhaled, it can lead to inflammation of the nasal passage and the throat.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease(GERD) – This is a medical condition where stomach acid flows back up into the esophagus and burns the esophagus and throat and this can lead to a sore throat.
- Micro-Organisms – Micro-Organisms like bacteria and viruses can infect the throat and cause irritation and painful sensation in the throat.
Those micro-organisms include;
- Mumps virus
- Streptococcus bacteria
- Influenza bacteria
- Common cold, etc
TYPES OF SORE THROAT
The types of sore throat depend on the part of the throat that is affected.
- Pharyngitis – This type of sore throat or inflammation occurs at the back of the mouth (Pharynx).
- Tonsillitis – This occurs in the tonsils (soft tissue located at the back of the mouth). The tonsil becomes swollen, reddish, and painful.
- Laryngitis – This occurs in the larynx also known as the voice box.
SYMPTOMS OF SORE THROAT
The symptoms depend on the cause;
- Itchy sensation
- Painful sensation
- Burning sensation
Alongside sore throat symptoms, you might feel
- Running nose
- Nasal blockage
- Swelling in the rock region
- Loss of appetites
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty talking
Now there are some things we can find in the house or our environment that can serve as relieving or remedies to soothe the pain and irritation, They include;
Read Also: Full Liquid Diet: Benefits and How It Works
A teaspoon of pure honey or mixed with tea can go a long way in relieving sore throat.
Salt and warm water
Dissolve salt in warm water, put it in your mouth and gargle (hold it back to your throat) for a minute and spit out. This will help relieve sore throat and also break down secretions. The saltwater can also help kill microbes in the throat; the gargling will reduce the swelling.
Roots of marshmallow
Put some direct root of marshmallows into a cup of boiling water, let it boil a little then sip it gently at least twice or thrice a day. The roots of the marshmallow have substances that are like mucus that helps relieve a sore throat.
Baking soda, salt, and water
Get warm water, add salt and then baking soda, stir properly and gargle for at least 1-2mins. It would soothe a sore throat, kill bacteria, and inhibit the growth of yeast and fungi.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Dilute 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and gargle with it. You can also take little sips. Do this hourly and also take plenty of water especially after each gargling.
Naturally, garlic has antibacterial properties. It has allicin that helps to ward off infection. Chewing garlic regularly when you have a sore throat is one of the fastest ways of getting rid of sore throat.
Ginger is also similar to garlic, it has antimicrobial properties and works better and faster in relieving sore throat when chewed.
These natural remedies mentioned above are for quick relief, but if sore throat is persistent for up to 4 -7 days please see a doctor.