Alkaline Water! You may or may not have heard of it, and most people do not know how important and beneficial it is to the body.
Before we talk about its benefits, let’s know what alkaline water is.
What is Alkaline Water?
Alkaline water as the name goes is a type of water that is less acidic (than tap water), it is ionized water, with a pH level of about 8 or 9.
Alkaline water contains alkaline minerals and negative oxidation-reduction potential (ORP). ORP means the water has the ability to act as an antioxidant. It is also said that various minerals like magnesium and calcium are found in alkaline water.
Health Benefits of Alkaline Water
is alkaline water good for you? Some research(s) done propose that it;
- Reduces the risk of Acid Reflux Disease – Acid reflux disease occurs when the stomach content (which is normally acidic) spills up back into the esophagus (food pipe). Chronic acid reflux leads to Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
Alkaline water according to some research counteract the activity of the enzyme that facilitates reflux disease.
- Alkaline Water aids in fast hydration – Drinking alkalinewater facilitates hydration or rehydration because alkaline water contains minerals and electrolytes which help to re-energize the body faster.
- Facilitates Digestion – Frequent Consumption of alkalinewater increases lubrication in the colon and aids the digestion of food.
- Balances the Body’s pH level – Intake of alkalinewater helps to regulate the pH of the body. The body fat is somehow acidic and the content of the stomach is also acidic because of the HCl released by the stomach, and the body needs to be slightly alkaline in order to function better.
- Facilitates body metabolism – Drinking water aid metabolism but drinking alkalinewater facilitates metabolism (even faster than normal water does) and if metabolic rate is high that means our body cells are getting as much nutrient we take in.
- Helps with weight loss – Yes! Weight loss! And someone might ask how? I’d tell you! When we take alkaline water or hydrate with alkalinewater, food digestion is facilitated, the metabolic rate of the body increases and fat is burnt faster resulting in reduced calories in the body and therefore the weight is gradually lost.
- Has anti-oxidant properties – Anti-oxidant are substances that counteract the activities of oxidants and also protect body cells from free radicals. When food is broken down in the body, free radicals are released and these free radicals can cause slow damage to the cells and this damage may lead to organ failure. Fortunately, the intake of alkalinewater supplies the body with anti-oxidants.
- Has Anti-aging properties – Alkaline contains anti-oxidants which helps slow down aging.
Read Also: Full Liquid Diet: Benefits and How It Works
I know now you might be asking is alkaline water good for you? Even though drinking alkaline water is nice, as we all know everything that has advantages also has disadvantages and vice versa.
These side effects include;
- Excessive lowering of stomach acidity (due to frequent intake of alkalinewater). Stomach acid helps to kill bacteria and prevents them from entering the bloodstream.
- Frequent consumption of alkalinewater may lead to alkalosis and also cause gastrointestinal issues and skin irritation.
Alkalosis (Excess alkaline in the blood) can cause the following symptoms
- Vomiting and nausea
- Muscle twitching
- Reduced calcium in the body
- Excess alkaline can cause overhydration which can possibly lead to confusion and seizure.
How to Make Alkaline Water at Home
- Using Baking Soda – Baking Soda has a pH level of 9 therefore it is one of the best ingredients.
How to make it – Add ½ teaspoon of baking soda in at least 125ml
2. Using Lemon
How to make it – Get lemon juice and dilute with water and then add some vitamin C.
3. Using pH Drops
pH drops Are liquids that have a high concentration of minerals and electrolytes
How to make – Get a glass of purified water and add 2-3 drops of pH liquid.
Remember it is safer to make natural alkalinewater than artificially or chemically made. Also alkalinewater should be taken in moderation to avoid detrimental effects.
Read Also: 7 Tips to Whiten your Teeth Naturally